If you are having an upcoming winter wedding this blog post is for you! Today’s Simply Chic tip focuses on decorating the outside of your home or small wedding venue for under $50.
Here’s how The Simply Chic concept works for this particular tip. Last summer during a spell of sweltering 90 degree heat I helped my sister weed her large flower garden which was being taken over by daisies and white yarrow. (If you are a gardener, you know how daisies and white yarrow can make a gardener crazier than Lizzie Borden). My sister loves decorating for Christmas and she just so happens to have more pine trees on her property than Mr. and Mrs. Claus have at the North Pole. So we did what any loving sisters would do – we traded our skills and services and blessed each other. I helped my sister weed her garden and she in turn helped me decorate my window boxes.
Here’s what you’ll need for this simple project:
- A friend or family member with some pine trees.
- Approximately 2 hours of time out of your busy schedule.
- A good pair of gloves, an old coat (that you don’t mind if you get pine sap on), your Ipod with holiday music to get you in the mood, a visiting neighbor dog to keep you company.
- A home or small venue reception site.
- Window boxes and outdoor pots.
- Strings of white or colored Christmas lights.
- Spray painted ice skates, old fashioned sled, old fashioned letter box.
- Dried hydrangea, dogwood branches, any of your favorite dried tall stemmed flowers and large pine cones.
- Outdoor ice lantern mold.
Easy Steps For Beautiful Holiday Window Boxes
- Unload and lay out all your pine branches
- Place the pine branches in your window boxes to ensure you have enough for the areas you want to cover. To add texture, place the pine hanging over the edge of the window boxes.
- Lay down your Christmas lights evenly dispersed throughout the pine boughs.
- Fill in large empty spaces with cute Christmas or holiday winter decorations such as an old fashioned sled or cute children’s skates.
- Reduce large boring spots by drawing your eye toward an old toboggan or old fashioned skis.
- Add tall dogwood branches, grasses, dried flowers or stiff pine branches for added texture at the back of your boxes.
And there you have it, beautiful Simply Chic outdoor decorations for your winter wedding, all for under $50.
Where items mentioned in this blog can be found:
The skates, skiis, old fashioned sled and toboggan, even the Christmas lights can all be found at local thrift stores or garage sales $30.
The free pine boughs were cut from my sister’s trees. The free hydrangea and pussy willows were collected at the end of summer from her garden and then dried and stored in her garage until winter.
Do you have any inexpensive outdoor decorating ideas to pass along? Email us with your photos and tips!
“You are wealthy when you have something money can’t buy.”
~ Garth Brooks
The Simply Chic Bride
We want to hear from you!
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org