Do you need to find a flower girl dress for your upcoming wedding, but you don’t want to spend a fortune, then today’s Simply Chic blog post is for you.
A flower girl dress purchased through a retail store can cost anywhere from $100-$150, with additional charges for alterations. By using The Simply Chic Bride concept you can find a similar dress for under $50.
Think of it this way…Flower girl dresses are kind of like pianos, when you want a piano, you just gotta have it, but when you are tired of dusting the dang thing, using it as a bookshelf and having it take up half your living room, you can think of only one thing, you want it “gone.” I found the same desire to want it “gone” applies for flower girl dresses – for once the wedding is over, most people want that cute little dress that came with the big price tag out of their closet.
By utilizing the power of the internet and your friend/family network you can find that perfect flower girl dress for a fraction of the price or even better yet, for FREE!
Steps to finding a flower girl dress under $50:
Define how you want your flower girl dress to look, consider these factors – style, size, color, and the choice of material then, start your search using the following steps:
1. Network, Network, Network – Ask friends, family members or coworkers if they know someone who may have had a child as a flower girl from a recent wedding and if they would be interested in selling their dress.
Example: I did a favor for a friend and found a flower girl dress for her bride on a budget wedding by just asking those within my friend network if they knew anyone that had recently been married. Then, a friend of a friend said she had a wedding 1 year ago and after a short conversation she divulged that she would like nothing more than to have the flower girl dress out of her closet. A light bulb went off in my head and I asked her if she wouldn’t mind donating the dress for a bride on a budget wedding, as she was trying to save money due to this tough economy. This lovely woman donated the dress for the event for free and said she felt wonderful about blessing the bride with her flower girl dress contribution.
2. Facebook it – By utilizing the power of your “status update” on Facebook you can immediately connect with people who can also pass the word on to their friends list regarding the search for a flower girl dress. It’s like that Herbal Essence shampoo commercial from the ‘70’s, “you tell two friends, then they tell two friends, and so on, and so on…” You’ll be amazed at how many people come forward. People want to help. It feels great for everyone involved.
3. Buy a dress through a guy named Craig – If you can’t find a dress through Facebooking, or networking with immediate friends/family or coworkers use Craig’s List. Craig’s List is a great tool that brings people that want to get rid of something together with people that want what you don’t want. The Craig’s List equation works something like this, you can expect to pay about 50-60% below retail pricing.
I found this flower girl dress on Craigs List (with an off white bow) for my upcoming wedding for $30. My winter themed wedding colors are black and white. I then changed the look of the dress by purchasing a black bow for $15 from David’s Bridal in order to match our wedding colors. The grand total was $45! See how a different bow totally changes the look of the dress?
Simply Chic Craig’s List Shopping Tips:
1. Go to http://craigslist.com and search in the specific area where you are willing to travel to look at the dress.
2. Narrow your flower girl dress search by using words such as wedding, flower girl dress or new with tags flower girl (NWT), or never worn. You can also get great deals on dresses that might have been worn once, but dry cleaned, or they will be sold cheap enough that you dry clean them and still get them for half the price as purchased in a store. The options are endless, but “be warned” finding Craig’s List bargains can be habit forming J
3. Bring your flower girl with you to your Craig’s List dress appointment to ensure the dress fits correctly.
Simply Chic Great Idea: When my daughter was five, she was the flower girl in my sister’s wedding. She loved her flower girl dress so much she insisted on wearing it for her school picture that year. It turned out to be the cutest school picture she ever took and we saved $30 on buying a new outfit for photos that year too!
Flower girl fun fact:
The flower girl and the tradition of walking before the bride and tossing petals dates back to old English tradition. It was customary back then to have the entire bridal party walk behind a small girl as she tossed flowers . . . all the way to the church.
Do you have any inexpensive wedding decorating ideas to pass along? Email us with your photos and tips!
Simply Chic Quote:
The Simply Chic Bride
We want to hear from you!
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org